Staci Bishop

Friday, April 18, 2014

Uganda Prep Update #2

Just joining in? Here's the backstory....
Things are going really well as far as preparations. My financial support has been coming in sure and steady, for which I am beyond thankful. Like, you have no idea how much each donation means to me. Hashtag "blessed" doesn't even begin to cover it. The Lord has consistently given me peace and comfort regarding this trip whenever I would get worked up about $3000. That's nothing to Him! 

I had enough in my MfM account to meet the first big deadline to purchase our group airfare tickets this week. PTL! The next deadline isn't until the end of May where I have to pay for accommodations. If you were planning to donate and it slipped your mind, it's not too late! You can donate through the Paypal link online. You can also make a tax-deductible donation by sending a check to the address below and earmarking it for Staci Bishop. 

Mercy for Mamas  |  1604 Prairie Run Circle  |  Mulvane, KS 67110

Two weeks ago, I finally made it to the post office and sent off to have my passport renewed. Let's just say that a wee bit of time has passed since my last passport photo at age 19. I may have aged just a smidge. 
Up next is trying to find a travel clinic in the Nashville area who will allow me to receive my Yellow Fever Card with an exemption. Due to my personal convictions about health & wellness I have decided to decline the recommended vaccinations for international travel and this area of Africa. Yellow Fever is the only shot "required" for entry into Uganda but I should be able to file an exemption, according to others who have done this. Of course, it may be easier said than done but I'm certainly going to try. The alternative is going without the card and hoping I'm not asked for it when going through customs. I'd rather not take that chance if I don't have to. 

I've also began my research into alternative therapies and immune boosters against malaria and typhoid, the biggest disease threats in this area. I will be sure to do a complete post on that when I've got my regimen nailed down. 

Many of you have asked how you can become more involved by providing Mama Kits. I can't tell you how much it excites me that this cause has pricked your heart as well. You can make donations through Hope Venture on a one-time or recurring basis. The kits are a mere $7 each and provide sterile birthing supplies for a clean and safe delivery. They are then distributed by Mercy for Mamas on trips like the one I'm joining this summer. 
Please know that I treasure each one of you who are following along with me on this journey! Until the next update.... 

No comments:

Post a Comment