Staci Bishop

Thursday, February 28, 2013

Training Recap Part 2: Getting Started with CBI

Once I had chosen a certifying organization, it was time to sign up and start studying. The process to sign up was really easy. You basically fill out a webform and choose your payment option. That was another thing I like about Childbirth International (CBI). They give you the option of making monthly payments if that is what works best for you.

Within moments I had a login and password with electronic access to the complete training materials. This was another perk of CBI. You could start training right away. Everything you need is online! Within a couple of days I had received an email from my "trainer" and within a week, I had received the books of the training materials. It was really a quick process to get everything going.

My trainer was Amy Hoyt and she was great. Granted, I'm a pretty low maintenance student so it was rare that I needed to contact her but she was always available with support and willing to help me along in the process. She also provided some really good feedback along the way.

The are three training manuals for Birth Doula are Communication Skills, Physiology for Birth, and Birth Doula Skills. It is recommended that you complete them in that order but not required.

Here is the short list of what is required to become a certified birth doula with CBI.

Certification: Certified Labor Doula (CLD)
Cost: US$430 (payment plan available)
Workshop required: None
How long does it take: 3-7 months
Time limit: None
Refunds: 2 day full refund less admin fee of $50
Number of births required: Support 2 women for a total of 15 hours including pre and postpartum support
Exam: Multiple choice open book exam
Assignment: One written paper
Other requirements: Read 3 books and survey of childbirth class options locally


Next, I will share with you some tips of what helped me to get on track, stay on track, and complete the certification process within my desired timeline.

1 comment:

  1. Once again... Thanks for the great information! - Michelle

    ReplyDelete