Staci Bishop

Thursday, January 3, 2013

My 2012 Doula Babies


This year has been amazing! Not only was I able to complete my doula training and become certified but I was also privileged to help 5 amazing families. I'd like to take a moment recap what I experienced in 2012.

****************
  • Surprisingly, the babies were all girls! It's also interesting to note that I had 1 Leap Day baby and 1 New Year's Eve baby.
  • I had 3 clients having their 1st baby and 2 clients having their 2nd baby. 
  • Earliest delivery was 37 weeks, 1 day and the longest was 42 weeks, 1 day (both 2nd time moms). The average gestation was 287 days or 41 weeks for my 1st time moms. 
  • The shortest labor was 90 minutes and the longest labor was 18 hours.
  • I attended 1 home birth and 4 hospital births (Baptist, Williamson, Vanderbilt, Centennial). 
  • Midwives were present at 2 of the births, and an obstetrician was present at the other 3.
  • An epidural was chosen 40% of the time. 
  • Pitocin was only used in 2 cases to control bleeding in the 3rd stage of labor (delivery of the placenta). 
  • All my clients delivered vaginally, including 1 VBAC. 
  • There were no inductions and no episiotomies. 
  • To date, all moms are still breastfeeding. 
****************

I can't wait to get started in 2013! It's such an honor and privilege to be present for the birth of a baby. I take this job very seriously and have a great love and devotion for each and every family that I work with. It's wonderful to finally be actively working in a field I am so passionate about.




1 comment:

  1. rock on Doula Staci, rock on!!!! This post gave me goosebumps, hehe. SO dang proud of you, and grateful for you!! <3 -HP

    ReplyDelete