Staci Bishop

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Surviving Cold & Flu Season: Herbs and More!

This is the second post in a 3-part series.
If you missed the first post click here: Lifestyle
If you missed the second post click here: Food

"An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure." 
~ Benjamin Franklin


Cold & Flu season is here. Below you will find some of my favorite tips and tricks that I use to keep my family healthy. I have already told you about our lifestyle habits and using food as "medicine." Today I want to talk about herbs, supplements, homeopathy and more.

Disclaimer: I am not a medical doctor. These are simply home remedies that I have researched on my own and applied to my family for health and wellness. 

Herbs and More: Below is a variety of herbs, vitamins, tinctures, essential oils, and homeopathy that I have found to be effective. Please do your homework before using these products to make sure that you do not have any health concerns that would be contraindicated to their use. While they are indeed "natural" some of these are very potent and should be taken or used with care.

  • Elderberry - Just as honey was my top pick for foods, elderberry is my top pick in this category. It's a huge antioxidant and is also loaded with vitamins known for their antiviral properties. You can take this once daily to boost your immune system or up to three times a day if you feel a cold coming on or have already been hit by one. You can purchase it in liquid or tablet form over the counter at your local drug store. Just ask for the brand name Sambucol.  
  • Astragalus Root - This herb mimics the immune system and can also be helpful for increasing energy levels. It can be taken long term to help prevent colds/flu but may also be used once symptoms have started to give the immune system a little help. This can be found in capsule or tincture form. 
  • Echinacea - This will work in a similar way to Astragalus in that it doesn't fight infection on its own but instead it boosts all cells in the body to fight off bacteria and viruses on their own. Again, it can be used to prevent infection but may also lessen the duration of a cold. 
  • **Astragalus/Echinacea** - I prefer to take these two herbs together in tincture form. We use Herbs for Kids. I take it straight from the dropper. For my daughter, I put 1 ml into a shot glass and cover it with juice. She thinks it's cool to drink from a little cup and doesn't even notice the taste. This can be taken up to 3 times a day to prevent or treat illness. 
  • Vitamin C - Studies have shown that vitamin C may not help in preventing colds but it certainly aids to shorten the duration of cold symptoms. It's best to take 8,000 mg over the course of the first day of a cold.  
  • Vitamin D - Researchers have concluded that we are more susceptible to cold and flu when our vitamin D levels are low. Our bodies best absorb vitamin D through the sun but that isn't always available during dreary winter periods. Instead, consider supplementing with over the counter D3. Adults can consume up to 5000 IU of D3 per day. It's also interesting to note that vitamin C aids the absorption of vitamin D so I like to take them together. 
  • Zinc - This is available in tablet, liquid, or lozenge form. It's most effective if taken within 24 hours of onset of cold symptoms. I start it as soon as I feel any sort of tingle in my throat, just in case. It has been shown to reduce symptoms by 40% and shorten the cold duration by a full 24 hours. 
  • Probiotic - Toxins like to hide out in the intestinal track and will ultimately suppress the immune system. However, your gastric track also needs a certain amount of "good" bacteria to fight the bad. I recommend taking a probiotic year round but particularly during cold & flu season. You can start with something as simple as OTC acidophillus. This can also be helpful in preventing your children from coming home with the wretched stomach bug. You may choose a children's probiotic (my little one likes this one) or simply dump the contents of an acidophillus capsule into their juice. 
  • Essential Oils - Lavender is my favorite for preventing infection. I just sprinkle a few drops on everyone's pillow. Rosemary can also be used in this way as well. Eucalyptus can help with a stuffy nose. Simply incorporate a few drops into a carrier oil like coconut or grapeseed and rub onto the chest. Peppermint is my favorite for reducing cough and nausea. Remember, essential oils are not designed to be ingested but inhaled. That's how they are most effective. 
  • Oscilloccocinum - Should full-blown flu symptoms occur grab this and start treatment pronto. Homeopathics work best when taken without food and when given at regular 15 minute intervals. The science behind how they work is that it introduces trace amounts into the body that mount an immune response, which helps combat the symptoms. This can also be found at your local drug store. 
  • Homeopathy - These are some of my favorite OTC homeopathy brands and combinations that can be found at local drug stores. ColdCalm Tablets, Sinusila, Cough 'n Cold for Kids, and Complete Flu Care for Kids.
I had intended for this to be the last post in this series but I think I will do one more post to tie everything together and give a sample schedule of what I do when any of my peeps get sick. If you have questions, fire away in the comments and I will try to answer them as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment