Staci Bishop

Saturday, February 18, 2012

Reading Roundup (active management, swaddling. coconut oil, epidurals, doulas)

Here are my favorite articles, posts, and pictures that I came across this week. Enjoy!

What is Normal? - Fantastic article on "active management" of labor and how it has changed (ahem, sped up) over the years.

Fish Can't See Water - Related article on the "medicalization" of labor and birth.

Rethinking Swaddling - Interesting article that weighs the pros and cons of swaddling. I am a fan of swaddling to help settle baby and also to help baby sleep better. However, I wholeheartedly agree that being next to mom, especially in the early days, is absolutely best for baby.

160 Uses For Coconut Oil - If there is one thing I can't live without, it's coconut oil. I seriously use it on a daily basis for SOMEthing. It's actually a running joke around here. No matter what the problem is, I'm usually going to suggest coconut oil to solve it.

Epidurals: risks and concerns for mother and baby - Fantastic article that discusses how epidurals interfere with labor hormones and the labor process. It also lists potential side effects for both mother and baby. "In a UK survey of 1,000 women, those who had used epidurals reported the highest levels of pain relief but the lowest levels of satisfaction with the birth, probably because of the high rates of intervention. "

Why Do American Women Do Nothing to Recovery from Pregnancy? - Amen! I'm the first to admit that I didn't take care of myself after I had my first child. I didn't realize I needed to do anything different. "In American culture, the postpartum recovery of the mother has never been given much attention and is largely not seen as important." And we wonder why our postpartum depression rate is so high... huh, imagine that?!

I LOVE this picture meme below. Photos like this are popping up everywhere, but this is a perfect display of what others think we do and what really happens.


1 comment: