Staci Bishop

Saturday, February 25, 2012

Reading Roundup 2/25 (oxytocin, sleep habits, dairy, birth video)

Below you will find some of my favorite articles, posts and videos that I came across this week. Enjoy!

Oozing Oxytocin - This article shows that oxytocin can be sensed and smelled by the body often causing a domino effect for others (male & female) to produce oxytocin. "Singing, particularly singing with other people, causes the brain to produce unusually high levels of oxytocin." Ever get that "feeling" when you are in church service and the whole congregation is singing together. I think oxytocin might be at play here. :)

Dairy Causes Acne - This was an interesting read for me this week mainly because I love Purity chocolate milk. I've actually been trying to cut back on my obsession and this article may have just sealed the deal for me.

8 Infant Sleep Facts Every Parent Should Know - This article has some good information about nightwaking. As the mom of a nonsleeper, I found it interesting that babies who don't get into deep sleep are getting more blood flow to their brain. It was even suggested that these babies may be smarter. Hmmm....
  • 31 Ways to Get Your Baby to Sleep and Stay Asleep - Follow up article by Dr. Sears regarding sleep habits of babies. I think the key to both of these articles is that babies must be taught to sleep and given a proper environment to sleep. They don't automatically know how to do this on their own.

MORE Business of Being Born - This week I had the opportunity to watch the first installment of More Business of being Born named Down on the Farm. They visit legendary midwife, Ina May Gaskin, and have a lovely sit-down interview with her and tour of The Farm in Summertown, Tennessee. My first doula client will be delivering at the The Farm so I was so excited to be able to see this in advance. I'm totally star struck by Ina May too. :) The trailer for the series is below.


The following video is my new favorite birth video. It starts out a little slow but stick with it. The cinematography towards the end is so amazing as it documents a family absolutely falling in love with their newborn baby. I wish every couple had the opportunity to get to know their baby this way. Home birth is SO beautiful! Watch and you'll see why.

That's it for this week. Did you read anything interesting? If so, please share a link in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment