Staci Bishop

Thursday, May 29, 2014

Uganda Prep Update #3: Health & Wellness

I leave for Africa in just 2 weeks. Eek!

The reality of that is starting to set in and I'm trying not to panic. Ha! I've done a ton to prepare but I still feel like I have so much left to do.

This post will focus on the knowledge I have gained in regards to disease prevention.

VACCINATIONS - I finally had my appointment with the travel clinic last week and was able to secure the exemption I needed for yellow fever. There are a ton of "recommended" vaccines (hepatitis A & B, diphtheria, tetanus, polio, measles, typhoid, rabies, and meningitis) but some countries "require" a yellow fever vaccine. As many of you know, my personal beliefs and convictions about health and wellness prevent me from receiving vaccines. I believe the risk of the vaccination outweighs the risk of the disease. I also believe that a healthy immune system can fight off germs of all shapes and sizes with the aid of natural remedies. Vaccines trick our immune systems and, in the process, they actually lower our primary immune response.

Ultimately, the goal, of course, is not to contract any of these pesky diseases in the first place. I have already started daily immune boosters (astragalus, echinacea, vitamin C, elderberry, vitamin D, zinc, probiotic). I will continue these on the trip in addition to adding in super lysine, garlic, colloidal silver, essential oils such as lavender, lemon, tea tree and rosemary, and tinctures like wormwood, black walnut, and licorice root. Click here to view my complete alternative treatment regimen.

When you get down to the nitty gritty, these are the 3 most common disease threats in Uganda...

YELLOW FEVER - A virus transmitted through infected mosquitos. We will be in Uganda during the "dry season" so that should help. All of our lodging will have mosquito netting as well. Plus, I will be using natural mosquito repellents such as lemon eucalyptus (different than lemon and eucalyptus), garlic, and sulphur (natural mineral in the body). If infected, I will be treating with phosphorus, vitamin C, fenugreek, capsicum, and geranium. These are known to boost the immune system and aid the liver. The capsicum and geranium are to assist with hemorrhage should a severe case occur. There is no known treatment for yellow fever, only supportive measures.

MALARIA - A parasite transmitted through infected mosquitos. See above for insect bite prevention. The travel clinic doctor advised that all fevers should be treated as malaria until proven otherwise. A typical malaria attack lasts 6-10 hours. The known treatment for malaria is quinine, which I have in tincture form. If infected, I will also be using wormwood, black walnut, and licorice root tinctures as they are known to fight off parasites. Capsicum and phosphorus are also known to help with malaria treatment.

TYPHOID - A bacteria transmitted through poorly cooked food or contaminated water. I will only be consuming bottled water and eating well-cooked foods (no raw veggies or fruits). The travel medicine doctor advised that I take a chewable bismuch subsalicylate (Pepto-Bismol) with any meal I feel could be contaminated. This is a natural bacteria killer but it only works in the stomach so it must be taken at the same time as any food or drink containing bacteria. In addition, I did receive a prescription for azithromycin to take with me just in case. He advised that all cases of diarrhea with fever should be treated as typhoid until proven otherwise.

I have a million things that I'm worried about but disease really isn't one of them. For starters, I don't plan to get sick. But, if I do, then I will address it at that time using the knowledge that I have gained and relying on modernized medical care as the last resort that it should be. God has given us some amazing natural ways to prevent and treat illness so I like to start with those as a first line of defense.

Stay tuned for my next update. It will be about packing lists and childcare, two logistical challenges that I'm currently working through.

As always, if you've been meaning to contribute financially, it's still not too late. Checks can be earmarked for Staci Bishop and sent to this address or you can click the Donate button below.

Mercy for Mamas  |  1604 Prairie Run Circle  |  Mulvane, KS 67110



Note: You do not have to have a Paypal account to donate through this link. You can also donate with a debit or credit card via the "Continue" link on the bottom left of the next page.

No comments:

Post a Comment