Staci Bishop

Friday, June 7, 2013

No 'Poo Part 1: The Journey

No 'Poo (no shampoo) has been circulating around the Internet and in crunchy circles for years. I was always intrigued by it as a way to rid toxic chemicals from my home and have a more natural option for hair care. But, I was never quite ready to take that leap. This is my journey of finally wanting to do it and willing to try it.

I seriously started to consider it as an option a year ago when I stopped to observe my daughter's hair (age 5). I naively assumed the ONLY reason her hair didn't get "oily" was because she didn't have adult hormones pulsing through her body. I was washing her hair every few days out of habit, not because she needed it. Out of curiosity, I once let it go a whole week without washing and it was fine. In fact, she could have gone more than 7 days between washes. However, I'm a routine oriented person so once a week became our new habit but the whole process encouraged me to really consider going no 'poo myself.

I have really long hair. I'm a donor for Locks of Love so I grow my hair for about 3 years, chop it off, and start all over again. All of the washing, blow drying, and styling really takes a toll on your hair so, again, I was looking for a better way to maintain the hair I'm donating. I currently wash every other day but I've read that you can go 3, 4, even 5 days between no 'poo washes and still have great looking hair. That sounded awesome!

I was also aware of the detox period and I was afraid to take the challenge with my hair so long. So, I scheduled my big cut 2 days before I left for the beach and thought that would be a perfect time to start my little no 'poo experiment  I mean, who cares what your hair looks like at the beach, right?!

So, that's how I came to a point of being willing to skip the shampoo. Stay tuned for the next installment and I'll tell you how it went.

Before and then 15 inches later. ;)

Part 2: The Experiment
Part 3: Switching to Low Poo

No comments:

Post a Comment